Thursday, September 11, 2008

That grey striped cat.


The sky is clear tonight. I can see the whole KL skyline from where I am, minus the twin towers, which is blocked by the hills where a whole bunch of army families calls home.


And I am staring at the cat. Ni-Mu's motorised toy cat. It walks and meows, but alas, now no more.

It's silent, but it didn't pass on, after all, it is a toy.

Tried changing batteries, but still, nothing.

I wish it could talk and tell me whether it misses walking and meowing, to hear the laughter again. Make Ni-Mu feel that she has a real cat. See my elation as Ni-Mu jumps up and down, screaming, "Look Mum, my cat!". But it can't.

Tried to fix it, but I am hopeless. I'm not an electrician, nor am I Handy Schmanny. I can only love, but for the broken toy, the concept may just be an alien one. I'm not saying that the cat is devoid of love, when it first came into our lives... It has brought many happiness. And happiness is love, no?

But even it its stillness, it brings joy to Ni-Mu. She'd cuddle it, brush it... even do a medical check up on it. And just like that, it can make me smile too. Sometimes, she'd take the cat to sleep with her. But not tonight.

Tonight, it's staring at me. As if to say, "You did this.. You broke me" . And I stared back. No, I didn't break you.. I've always been careful. Or have I?

I wish it could just tell me why it fell silent.
I wish it would fix itself.
I wish it is as easy as changing the batteries.
I wished many things.

But it is still staring at me.

In a telepathic manner, I send a magical thought and wished out loud, "Meeska Mooska Mickey Mouse!" and "Abracadabra!" and "Hocus Pocus!"

Was that a smile I see?

I am officially nuts. I'm writing about a toy cat. Go figure.

A million things to do, and I'm hung over a cat. A toy one.

I need a miracle. Or maybe a toy clinic. Or Handy Schmanny.

-catless-L