Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Latte at Ten


We had very interesting company last night. Well, not really company; per say, more like having 3 girls seated within our earshot, and eavesdropped on their conversation. (Can’t help it, think 3 very excited girls dishing out on what they think relationships are all about!)

YT 1: What was the most expensive gift you ever gave your boyfriend?
YT 2: Mmm, the first time we went out, I bought him a pair of Levi’s
YT 3: Oh, I actually bought my boyfriend the Sony Ericsson K700i phone, I just love giving him stuff. It really shows my commitment to him.

Wow! Are these girls for real? A mobile phone for the boyfriend? A pair of Levi’s on the first date? They could not be more than 20 years old!

YT 1: I don’t know whether he’s flirting with me or what..
YT 2: Well how does he act around you?
YT 1: You know he’s very touchy – touchy.
YT 3: He’s definitely flirting with you. If he keeps touching you while talking to you, that’s definitely flirting. Anything other than that is NOT!
YT 1: Ohhh..

My God! Entrepreneurina nearly snorted out her latte through her nose! “Flirting is not about touching while talking. You can still flirt with your eyes, smile, words? Should we tell them?” She yelped.

What we heard next is priceless.

YT 1: I’m not sure whether he’s my boyfriend or not..
YT 2: Why do you say that?
YT 3: He calls you a lot, right?
YT 1: Yeah and we sms each other a lot too.
YT 3: Well you guys are definitely boyfriend and girlfriend! It’s obvious that he cares for you!

To which Subby Hubby retorts, “Honey, he can be IN you and still not BE with you!”

Too true!

We all wanted to do the Young Things a favor and teach them a thing or two about boys and the crap that comes with it, but obviously it was not our place to say anything. Besides they were probably like me when I was “green” and would have “pooh-poohed” us as crazy “loser thirty somethings”.

YT 1: And what about you and Mr. X?
YT 2: I think he’s definitely ‘the one’ and I don’t want to lose him
YT 1: You know what, you should tell him.
YT 2: And say what?
YT 3: That even if you guys break up, you will still be friends, forever!

Seriously, Young Things! Why even bring this up?? You have NO idea how it’s going to end up and you’re already talking about staying friends forever?

I wondered if the 40 year olds next to us were listening to us, then Entrepreurina, Subby Hubby and me would be the “Young Things”.

-truly-learnt-my-lessons-L