Monday, January 17, 2005

Of smudges and looking good.


I pride myself on having various groups of friends. Bankers, engineers, lawyers, fashionistas, IT support, retailers, people in the entertainment industry, architects, doctors and the list goes on. So it is only natural that my dad asked me to help him with his recent purchase. He decided that it's time for him to change his car.

So I called up A# to help me out, as he is a used car salesman. At one point of my life, I went out with these sort... Don't get me wrong, but they can be very very slippery, and that's a fact. Of course, A# is one of the few exceptions.

He agreed to get one of his boys to do the running for me at the JPA counter (motor department) and get all the documents sorted out. I was happily eating my cornetto ice cream when he rang and said that I should come to his office and bring the necessary documents to pass to his runner. Did a quick check on the mirror, applied some lipgloss and made sure that I look good.

Why .. you ask? I used to go out with a friend of his, and just like all the ladies out there, I want to make sure that I look effortlessly gorgeous so that if he happens to talk to the biggest mistake of my life, he can say NOTHING but how great I looked. I know... I know... this is sooo beneath me, but that's how I feel.

My life is GREAT, I have a wonderful partner who loves me to death, a job to die for and surrounded with brilliant people. But there is this little "shallow" part of me that wants to shout out, "hah!-look-at-me-now!-you-2-timing-bastard!". Don't kid yourselves... you ALL harbour the same sentiment... admit IT..

So I sent the documents and had some chit chat over some drinks, some laughs .. ha..ha..

Nampak makin muda ... (You look more youthful). You must be happy, huh?

OOoo, thanks.Yes, I am very happy.

Gosh, really... you haven't changed a bit la.... hahaha, you still spill stuff on shirt when you eat, huh?

Whaa..?

Tadi makan coklat eh? (You had some chocolates just now, eh?)

Glanced downwards and there it was, chocolate smudges right in the middle of my white shirt. I snorted a giggle and went red in the face. Yup, I haven't changed. Clumsy-L is alive and well. And I realized right there and then, that I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I am me, and will always be, spoiled white shirts and all. And apparently... looking younger by the day...

-six-more-cornettos-in-the-freezer-L