Wednesday, December 01, 2004

"Alexxanderrrr"

(Pronounced exactly like Olympia pronounced it in the latest blockbuster - Alexander)


The movie was excellent! And according to my Subby Hubby (substitute hubby) who loves reading epic and historical chronicles, it's a good representation of the book he has read. Of course I had issues, like I always do, but first here's what I thought of my 3 hour date with "Alexxanderrr". Alexander, reached so many levels in story telling which I shall categorize in the following manner:


Power

Ever since man was put on earth, there has always been the struggle for power. Man and woman alike, once they have a taste of power, will always want more and it can never be enough. Be it physical prowess, political strength or even mind control - power is highly sought after.

Power, be it used for good or evil, can be potentially dangerous, therefore should only be used in moderation..of course Alexander's ambition of ruling the whole of Asia and Europe was excessive, but that was probably the great Alexander's way of rising above the power his mother had over him. Watcha think??? Only son...with a penchant for cute boys???

Maternal love

Excessive motherly love can be dangerous, which in time, I can't help but think that this will turn into the mother in law issues. I can so see it happening in Alexander's life. He will be torn in between Roxxane and Olympia, ooh...it will be sooo interesting to see how that turns out, too bad he died before having the 2 strong woman under the same roof. Note: Angelina Jolie looks amazing as Olympia..love the hair, the outfit ...everything lah..*sigh* my Homer will definitely go ga-ga over her all over again!

Love and Sexuality

So much love is being expressed here; love for the country, the gods, the heavenly body, the family and let's not forget the camaraderie among friends. What I like most about this part is how the filmaker managed to portray Alexander's homosexuality, excellent! I thought the issue may be too sensitive but hurrah! I'm sure some people out there will now be further enlightened that homosexuality does not equal weakness or disease. By gosh! Baroas is a pretty man and very flexible too...

Historical facts

Many has written the story of Alexander but because all the scribes from the people who lived in the times of Alexander never made it to modern times, we are left to speculate on the stories that has been passed from one generation to the next. So, I am happy to say that I finally know the general history. Be it the real truth on what happened thousands of years ago or not, I felt that this is the best way to learn about him. (it's either this or reading the book, and I still have not finished reading the Illyad). Erm, there's also always the Discovery Channel where I've learnt that his death may not be as mysterious as it seemed to be. All the fighting and wars, finally beaten by nyamuk??

What I don't get is... with millions spent on the production, why couldn't they spend $100 to tint Collin Farrel's brows and eyelashes..he looks weird...brown roots, dark brows..urgh. Even my hairstylist color my eyebrows when I get my highlights done!

All in all, if you like epic war stories, dosh out $10 and empty your bladder before the movie.

-wish-I-had-olympia's-hair-L