Friday, December 24, 2004

Weekend again (for me)..

This is my second attempt to get accustomed to the fact that Thursday is the start of the weekend here in Dubai. Back in KL, we used to hang out, have coffee and cake with friends. So the problem is this, we have no friends (yet) and Homer just refuse to spend the weekend with his colleague (me thinks he’s just not popular in the office).

We made our way to Madinat Jumeirah, in hope to find a spot that can be our little regular “coffee-coffee” thing. This place is something else! The Arabian version of Venice.

We saw the Abras (water taxis) ferrying guests from the hotels to the mall, the sky; enveloped with violet cotton candy, as the sun sets into the Arabian gulf. The chocolate pudding melting in my mouth…aahhh, a good start for a nice romantic night, yyeeaahh…

I spoke too soon, we just HAD to be seated next to a rambunctuous group of Brits and I ended up watching what they were up to. I admit, I have a problem, I LOVE watching people and obviously, this fits perfectly well with my Thursday roster.

They were really fun to watch, I gathered that they are probably here on a sporting event or there’s a bodyguard/bouncers convention. One of them wore a bright red t-shirt that says “I MASTURBATE”, hah! Imagine seeing that in an Arab country!

I really wanted to find out who they were, but I realized something. Aside from staring is BAD; I can pretty much pass off as a Filipino gal (and Homer may as well be my pimp) ogling a group of drunk men! *gulp* I may get into REAL trouble.

In fact, the waiters were giving us the single eye brow lift when we first took our seats. Alright, we may not look like we have tonnes of money, but we can afford a chocolate pudding, fries and 2 cokes. (hey, the pudding was RM30 a pop!)

Since our cake session set us back quite a bit, I decided that we should have dinner at home. We stopped at the neighbourhood grocers and as usual, the shopaholic that I am, bought 5 times more than intended (even in a supermarket!). I was eyeing this Heinz Organic Banana Breakfast mix, until Homer said, “why are you looking at baby food?..”.

Erk! For what its’ worth, it really did look yummy..

-good-girl-L-